Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Double Potholder Tutorial





If you aren't completely sick of potholders by now, you might want to make this useful 2-handed version. Like I said, I am no genius for figuring this out, it's just a variation on Prudent Baby's prettty potholder. 

I particularly like it for holding onto the handles of the pots that I have just boiled pasta in as I take them over to the sink to drain... Or even handling pretty dishes of shrimp pasta from my husband's restaurant that aren't really hot just for a photo.  :)



Gather and cut supplies. You need:

One piece 24"x8" terry cloth. You could use an old bath or dish towel for this if you want.

Six pieces 5"x8"- 2 in the terry cloth, 2 quilt batting, and two in the pretty fabric you want to use. This top layer could be any manner of patchwork or piecing. Also, if you don't have batting lying around, don't sweat it, just use another layer of terry.

A package of double fold bias tape, I used 1/2 inch.



First quilt together the layers of your two outside pockets, terry on the bottom, them batting, then fabric. If you are doing an applique in your design, like I did with the fork and knife version, first do that on just the top layer. Then quilt it to the others. For that pink one, I stitched around the design on the fabric. Here, I just did lines about 5/8" apart.



Place your pocket pieces back on the long piece so you can figure out which edge you want facing in, which are the edges that need bias tape. This might not matter to your design, but for instance if you want to have a fork on the left and a knife on the right, you don't want to mess this up. Cut strips of bias tape about 8" long for these inner edges.

Now, if you don't know how to attach bias tape, I definitely could not explain it any better than Prudent Baby (have I mentioned I am bound to love them forever and ever now?) or MADE already have. Both make it really easy to understand. Go. Learn. Do.



Now you have bias tape on the inside edges of the pockets. Pin the corners back onto the long piece. The time has come to attach more bias tape all the way around the whole thing.



You can do the corners however you like, but I like them rounded. I've found that it's easier for me to leave them uncut like this, then pin the first side of the tape down in a curve.



Then I sew and then cut the corners after, so that all the layers are even with the edge of the tape. Stitch down the other side of the tape and you are done.



You can attach a loop in the very center on the top side if you want. Or you can bypass a loop altogether if you plan on hanging it over your oven handle like a regular dishtowel.

Have fun holding hot things with not only one hand, but TWO!









21 comments:

  1. i love the knife and fork applique- too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so is it worth it to get a bias tape maker or just buy the store bought already made stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, thanks for the amazing tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Your fabric choices are awesome for these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need one of these! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm going to whip this up with some of the new to me scraps I now have. Thanks for sharing.

    Oh and what a lovely pin cushion in that 5th photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome!!!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking for a pattern for this ever since I found one at the thrift store...I LOVE IT! Can't believe I never had one before. Thanks, thanks, thanks! (Now I actually need to make it...AND cook!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea and a very good tutorial! Thank you for taking time to make this tut and for sharing it with us. I definitely want to make a couple of these pot holders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this one today, but it does not seem to work. The potholder part is not the part that holds the pan. The quilted part is on the upper part of you hand not holding the hot pan? What did I misunderstand in your tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love you potholder I am going to get the supplies today and make one for my Daughter for Christmas .thank you for sharing.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea however as Kimminita states: it does not seem to work. The potholder part is not the part that holds the pan. The quilted part is on the upper part of you hand not holding the hot pan. I just made this and there is NO WAY I would ever handle a hot pot with this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. gracia por tan magnifico tutorial, abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  14. What u could do is add a layer of Insulbrite between the quilting cotton and terry. That should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Use thinsolate instead of batting in the large piece. It is made especially for hot pads and other keep hot/cool applications. Joann's carries it, possibly hobby lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been after an easy to follow pattern/tutorial for ages for these double mitts, thank you very much, I'll be sewing tomorrow :]

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found this through http://allfreesewing.com, and I see you had the same idea I had, to use my old kitchen towels for the terry cloth part. But I agree with those who mentioned that more padding is needed in the long part. I use Insulbrite, two layers, plus a layer of batting between to protect my hands. I have found this to be very effective. And I love the idea of doing the double-handed version like this. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the great tutorial, will make for some nice gifts at Christmas time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow really great tutorial, my sister makes potholder towels but she will love this idea! I often needed one of these for draining my pasta pots also. I have burned myself many times even with potholders but this will take care of that I'm sure. I've resorted to using a large kitchen towel for that job but this is much better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.